Follow Us On:

Grigsby admits to setting more fires

Posted on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Dustin Grigsby

Dustin Grigsby

Lincoln County Sheriff John Cottle and Barry Nuss, of the county arson task force board, released information connecting an Old Monroe firefigher to 10 more arson cases.

On Aug. 4, the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office arrested Dustin Grigsby, age 19, for causing a structure fire along the 100 block of First St., in Old Monroe.

Thanks to Lincoln County citizen and business owner, John Adams, the sheriff’s office was able to identify the arsonist’s car with the help of his business surveillance footage.

Lincoln County Fire Marshal, Nuss, had been tracking the area’s fires and told investigators the Old Monroe area has had a series of suspicious fires that appear to have been done in a circular pattern. Investigators then started a mobile canvas of the populated areas within the circular pattern of the suspicious fires.

A short time later, investigators located the car in a driveway along the 200 block of Emerald Court, in Old Monroe and made contact with Grigsby. Grigsby admitted

to investigators he started the structure fire along the 100 block of First St., in Old Monroe.

Grigsby was a volunteer firefighter with the Old Monroe Fire Protection District and was immediately terminated after charges were filed.

On Aug. 6, 2013, fire investigators with the Missouri Division of Fire Safety interviewed Grigsby on the remaining 14 separate unsolved fires in the Old Monroe area. According to investigators, Grigsby admitted to setting 11 of the 14 fires. Three of the structures were occupied by residents.

“I would like to thank the Missouri Division of Fire Safety and the Lincoln County Fire Marshal for their support in this matter,” said Sheriff John Cottle. “The investigators involved in this case were instrumental in removing a serial arsonist from our community. I am thankful we were able to apprehend the suspect before someone got seriously hurt.”

Barry Nuss, Lincoln County Fire Marshal said, “Mr. Grigsby was a firefighter in title only. He did not embody the values of a firefighter….honor, service and dedication to name a few. While this incident may seem a “black eye” to the fire service, these were not the actions of a firefighter but those of a rogue individual, a serial arsonist and a criminal who endangered the lives of residents as well as other firefighters.”

Grigsby told investigators he was “stressed” and his home life was a contributing factor.

Grigsby was charged with Second Degree Arson on August 5, 2013. He now is facing seven Second Degree Arson and four First Degree He is still in the Lincoln County Jail on a $50,000 cash only bond

Those charged with a crime are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

For more on this and other stories pick up your copy of The Elsberry Democrat today  from one of our several locations.  You can also sign up for the online edition by visiting and clicking on Subscribe …